Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas? Nah, we prefer Halloween

My quirks are notable. It's funny, though, to see my kids picking up on them.
I still struggle to enjoy Christmas due to my torrid past with the holiday (split family, fighting, yada yada). For awhile, the only Christmas movie I enjoyed was Nightmare Before Christmas.
Tonight, I re-organized the closet where the Christmas tree and decorations have been buried for a year. The camping gear has been relocated to the back bedroom, so that I can reach the Christmas stuff and we can decorate the tree. I decided that was enough for tonight, since it's Dec. 6th, I was blasting Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas songs (I can handle the traditional ones now but still prefer TSO) and I STILL couldn't drum up enough enthusiasm to deal with the tree and all the chaos that will follow.
Our one cat, the "special" one, spent last year stealing ornaments. This year we not only still have the "special" cat, who has few cat mannerisms, but we also have a new kitten who will most definitely feel the need to climb the tree and steal the decorations for her entertainment. So, between them and the three terrors, I am putting off the debacle the tree is sure to become. Especially since The DIVA has spent the evening rolling from side to side of the living room and sitting herself up randomly. Last time I looked, she situated herself in front of the TV to watch Tinkerbelle. =)
Anyway, as I am cleaning and organizing, trying to drum up Christmas spirit, I unearthed Destructo's Halloween costume. We got it at Target and he was a man riding a dinosaur. Super cute, and the costume is well-made, so it will definitely stand up to repeated adventures. He asked if he could wear it, and I agreed. So off goes D.B. to find her costume (wings and a black dress with pink trim - midnight butterfly -- yep, part of the reason for her nickname here). So I have a butterfly and a dinosaur running rampant in my household, on the night I'm trying to get us excited for Christmas.
Definitely my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment