Friday, October 19, 2012

Burned - the first of many

So Destructo, who was suffering from the effects of the flu vaccine (Eeeeevil!), has found some strength and realized he is hungry. He comes downstairs with me and watches as I set The DIVA on a multi-colored mat of puzzle pieces, left by D.B. as she headed off to bed blithely unaware of the chaos she left in the living room.
Destructo: "Mama, why did you do that?"
My somewhat distracted answer consisted only of "Because...." as I considered peanut butter & jelly versus something more time consuming but less messy.
Destructo: "Mama, Because is not an answer."
Now, flashes of earlier today and preceding days chase each other through my mind. I see pictures of D.B. doing various things she shouldn't - to the dog, to her toys, to her brother. After each incident, I hear myself ask her why she thought that was a good idea. Her answer, of course, was "Because" followed by a never-ending pause as she hoped I would fill in the rest. Hence my response to her each time, "Because is not an answer."
At least someone was listening, I guess. Too bad, instead of taking it to heart, Destructo chose to turn it back upon the initiator.

I feel the burn.

Also, a few short minutes later, I told him to stop repeating himself.
Me: "Please stop repeating yourself, I hate when you do that. I hear you. Please give me a chance to answer."
Destructo: "Mama, don't say hate. We don't say hate. It's not nice."
Burned again. However, I take a little reassurance in the fact that at least this message WAS directed at Destructo himself, who is in the midst of using various inappropriate words during his terrible two's tantrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment